Re: TR3 or TR4?? Help!!

To: Triumph list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: TR3 or TR4?? Help!!
From: Chip Old <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 11:13:07 -0400 (EDT)
You're right, you'll find that a TR4 (not a TR4A) is almost identical
under the skin to your old TR2.  There are minor differences, but nothing
that will seem alien to you (except perhaps the steering, which is rack &
pinion instead of the TR2/3 Bishop Cam unit).

Aside from the obvious cosmetic differences, you'll find that the TR4 body
is a bit more spacious (not much) and more weather tight.  The roll-up
side windows make life at the tollbooth easier, but on the other hand I
miss the extra elbow room provided by the TR2/3's cut-down doors.  Early
TR4 seats are identical to the late TR3 variety, but later TR4 seats are
similar to the more comfortable (or so some say) TR250/TR6 type.

Both body structures are pretty simple, so one is just about as easy to
repair as the other.  Very early TR4 bodies had a few structural problems
(the weak short-bubble bonnet, for example), but most of those problems
were corrected fairly early in TR4 production.

Given my druthers, I'd pick a TR4 if everyday transport is the plan, but a
TR3A for a fun car.  Performance and handling aren't the issue, because
there isn't much difference.  I just like the TR3's cobbled together
appearance, the cut down doors, and don't mind the stiffer steering (try
driving an M.G. TC if you want to see what REALLY stiff Bishop Cam
steering is like).

On Fri, 24 Oct 1997, Cameron Greig wrote:

>         I need some help.Back in the mid 70s I bought a very early TR2
> registered 1st April 1954 TS678.I spent 4 years rebuilding the car, parts
> were not so easy to come by then,particularly body panels.My wife and I
> ran this car as our only transport for 4 years and then due to morgages
> kids new buisness etc, I had to sell it.Anyway the thing is I what
> another TR but which one?
> I don't want a TR4a or above because I like the simplicity of the earlier
> cars so the real question is TR2,3 or TR4.The TR4 is appealing because
> its much the same as the TR2 under the skin but is more civilised and
> just that little bit different.However I will always be comparing it to
> my old car and there may be aspects of the TR2 that Iwill miss.My old car
> had the larger engine so the power difference is'nt an issue
>  Any comments welcome.
>
> I am also selling a 1980 BMW M535i, To good at what it does!
>

>            Thanks all Cameron (Scotland).

Chip Old (Francis E. Old)                  fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us
Administrator, Internetworking Services    Voice:      410-887-6180
Baltimore County Public Library            FAX:        410-887-2091
320 York Road                              ICBM:     39.39910 North
Towson, Maryland 21204 U.S.A.                        76.60300 West