Re: Spitfire MKII Questions

To: John Baker <dmjbaker@erols.com>
Subject: Re: Spitfire MKII Questions
From: Odd Hedberg <odd@triumphclub.se>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 22:33:37 +0200
Cc: 1- Triumphs List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Hi John, and friends,

John Baker skrev:
> Hello,
> I just acquired a Spitfire MKII the title says it is a 1966,
> the owner said that it was a 1965.  The comm number is FC61896A.
> Here are my questions:
> 1.      Is it a 66 or a 65

Are You sure about the A part? Really really sure? If so it should
be fitted with an automatic transmission, and no such beasts were
made. Not even to order. The rest of the Comm No implies it was made
in the summer of 1965 (or possibly early autumn...) To have an EXACT
date  - then You have to buy a BMIHT Certificate.

> 2.      The body and Engine are in bad shape (Hey it's at least 31
>         years old) is it rare enough to spend the time to restore
>         it or part it, most of the parts are there (and MANY extras)
>         as far as I can tell (the car is in boxes) and the frame
>         looks like new.

Yes it's rare enough to restore! Any round tail Spit is rare enough
in my opinion.

> 3.      How many of the parts will fit on a 1978 Spit which I also
>         own.

Not many, if any. Right off my head I'd say: some of the front
suspension components and the rear brake drums, maybe.

/Odd

PS
On BMIHT Certificates;
Why can't we all who have the BMIHT certificates pool our resources
together and fill the build date/Comm No on a data list?
(I could volunteer to do the compilation as a complement to the Comm
No / Year list I already have.) Then it would be much easier to answer
questions like this, a little more in detail. At least the month-data
should be in our grasp after a while, I guess.
Mine is built 4 Feb 1970 if anyone is interested...

--
Odd Hedberg
Pomonagatan 4