Re: Winterization? (or, "How To Store A Loved One")

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Winterization? (or, "How To Store A Loved One")
From: "Doug Mitchell" <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 1995 08:20:46 -0400 "Re[2]: Winterization? (or, "How To Store A Loved One")" (Oct 25, 8:02am)
> Subject: Re[2]: Winterization? (or, "How To Store A Loved One")
>  I heard that you can prevent the clutch "freezing" to the flywheel by
>  keeping the clutch peddle depressed.  I reading, it think in "Practical
>  Classics"  that a company in the UK makes a device that does this.  If
>  interested, I can go through my old stash of Mags to see if I can find the
>  add.  I have never done this, and don't know what effect it would have on
>  the clutch MC and slave cyclinder.  My experience has been with antique
>  american iron, old MBs and a S**B, these never experienced this problem.  I
>  hope this help.  Later, Chris
>-- End of excerpt from oliverc@cc.tacom.army.mil

On the Spitfire, I have found it possible to do this by putting a scrap
piece of wood between the frame crossmember in front of the driver's
seat and the clutch pedal. You may have to experiment with the length
of the wood, I don't remember how long it should be. I wrote on the
piece that I use what it was for, so I can use it from year to year and
not accidentally use it for kindling in my fireplace. :-O

I have been storing my Spit for the winter since 1980, and it varies
from year to year what I do to prepare the car for storage. Sometimes
I change the oil before, and sometimes after. Sometimes I pull the
battery, and put the car on stands and ... I really haven't found it to
make any difference! The only thing that I do try and do is to keep it
covered, and to put the wood between the crossmember and the clutch.

Doug