Re: Oil Light Shutoff

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oil Light Shutoff
From: gschneid@nicmad.nicolet.com (Gary Schneider)
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 95 09:29:23 CDT
>>if your sound is the sound I think it is, its probably one or more
>>worn big-end bearings. Does it take a second or 2 for the oil light to
>>go out when starting from cold?
>
>Is this true only with the Spit engines? I ask because, ever since I
>fixed the warning lights in my TR6, I notice the same delay in the oil
>light going out when cold starting.

I've also always seen a second or two delay in oil pressure rise at start -
its a mechanical system and takes some time to pressurize the pipes even
with a spinon filter conversion. Although a well-worn engine might take
slightly longer to come up due to less flow resistance, I don't think this
fine a judgment is very useful for troubleshooting. Observing the oil
pressure under cold and hot conditions is much more informative. And
distressing noises are the most informative of all. (Unfortunately they
only communicate bad news.) :-(

[daydream mode - on]
Wouldn't it be great if we could exchange sound files so we could hear the
problem? Hey, maybe some creative souls could record some sound clips next
time their engine goes sour, then we could enhance the web site with
collective wisdom on how expensive certain sounds are. We can do it - we
have the technology. Too bad MJB's off for a few weeks. Oh, yeah, and we
could have the roar of a full-race TR as a startup sound on our computers
too. Better add a couple extra smileys on this flight of fancy :-) :-)
[reality mode - on]

--
Gary Schneider, Nicolet Instrument Technologies
phone: 608-276-6172, Fax: 608-273-5061, Internet: gschneid@nicmad.nicolet.com