Re: Communications

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Communications
From: gschneid@nicmad.nicolet.com (Gary Schneider)
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 95 09:59:43 CDT
FNSortwell@aol.com wrote:
>Our tours/rallys/drive-abouts are getting bigger and longer in numbers of
>cars.  Some sort of communication device(s) is needed between the leaders and
>the tail-end charlies.  We live and drive in mountainous areas.  Does anyone
>have any experience or recommendations they could pass along?  Thanx, Fred

I think cheap CB radios would actually work the best, but the best won't be
very good if point and tail are in different valleys. Higher frequency
radios are even more line-of-sight limited, at 27MHz you'll get better
coverage over hills. A few miles is about all you can count on and this
will be drastically reduced if you're sitting in a hole. Maybe you could
borrow a couple to try it out, they're cheap and plentiful. Magnetic mount
antennas are pretty common so you can use them in any vehicle.

--
Gary Schneider, Nicolet Instrument Technologies
phone: 608-276-6172, Fax: 608-273-5061, Internet: gschneid@nicmad.nicolet.com