Oil Light Shutoff

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Oil Light Shutoff
From: TinyHost@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 1995 08:39:53 -0400
>if your sound is the sound I think it is, its probably one or more
>worn big-end bearings. Does it take a second or 2 for the oil light to
>go out when starting from cold?

Is this true only with the Spit engines? I ask because, ever since I
fixed the warning lights in my TR6, I notice the same delay in the oil
light going out when cold starting. From what I've read (here on the
list and elsewhere, I believe) I've gotten the impression that this is
due to the way the oil filter is positioned - sideways, so that the oil
drains into the sump after engine shutoff. This means that the oil pump
has to re-fill the filter before oil pressure gets to normal, which
takes a few seconds. For the TR6's I've seen an optional oil line which
routes oil directly to the valve cover to help alleviate some of the
problems caused by this design.

        Bruce Krobusek
        Rochester   NY
       tinyhost@aol.com