Re: Re[2]: Fasteners

To: "Hal Cummings" <halc@mazda.genauto.com>
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Fasteners
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 12:26:12 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I buy boxes, usually 100 at a time, of the common sizes I use, in plated
grade 8, and use them for everything that uses an external wrenching cap
screw (hex head bolt to normal people) outside of the engine.  Often, I use
internal wrenching cap screws (Allen bolts) for various reasons, and just
about all internal wrenching cap screws are of extremely high quality and
strength,  beyond grade 8 SAE, which is the highest SAE category.  Inside
the engine, I normally use ARP bolts for critical fasteners like rod bolts,
mains, flywheels, etc., although I've been known to use L9 bolts for mains
in a pinch.  If I can't get, or don't feel like paying for ARP, I use Allen
type bolts.  I only use Nylock nuts, either grade 5, or grade 8 if I'm
nervous.  I've yet to go to aircraft fasteners for anything.  I also buy
boxes of grade 8 washers, to use in all washer applications, and I buy lock
washers designed to be used with Allen bolts if I use a lock washer in any
critical application, which I rarely do.

I lube all fasteners that I use a torque wrench on, inside the engine, with
moly grease on the threads and under the head.  I use Loctite on fasteners
outside the engine only, if I think I need it (axle bolts, brake caliper
bolts, etc.,) only if I can't lockwire the thing.

When I building a street car, I tend to replace everything with the plated
grade 8 stuff, but forego the lockwire step, and just do the things up tight.

I offer this if anyone cares...

Brian