Re: Starving for Fuel?

To: "Daniel parrott" <parrotthead01@comcast.net>,
Subject: Re: Starving for Fuel?
From: doug@dougbraun.com
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 17:26:00 -0400
Here are some suggestions:

Disconnect the fuel line from the carb, disable the ignition coil, and crank
the engine.  Fuel should spurt out of the end of the line as you crank it.
If the tank is mostly full, the fuel should keep dribbling out even
when you are not cranking.

Test the pump by disconnecting the line to the pump, and rig a temporary
bit of hose from the pump input to a small container of gasoline.  Again, you
should
see good strong spurting as you crank.

If you change the filter (no reason not to, they're so cheap), tear open the
old one and see if it is clogged with crud, or see if you can easily blow
air through it (in the correct direction).

Check the short piece of rubber hose behind the rear wheel, that
connects the rigid line from the tank to the rigid line that runs along the
frame.
(That hose can also fall off or break, causing the contents or your gas tank to
end up
of the garage floor.  Consider replacing it at some point when your tank is
empty.)

You may have a clog, but there may also be an air leak in a high spot of the
plumbing
(above the tank) that causes the pump to suck mostly air.

Good Luck,

Doug Braun
'72 Spit

===     http://www.vtr.org