Starving for Fuel?

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Starving for Fuel?
From: "Daniel parrott" <parrotthead01@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 12:46:24 -0400
Dear Listers:

I have an intermittent problem with my 1980 Spitfire.  Here are the facts:

Once in a while, while running around 50-55 going to or from downtown, my
car would start to pulse and buck as if she were running out of fuel.  Top
speed would get lower and lower to the point that she would just shut down.
If I wait just a few seconds, she starts right up, but a half mile down the
road, it occurs again. If I wait 5 minutes, she will start up and get me
home with no more problems.

I've tried to insulate the fuel line from the heater hoses, thinking that
their proximity was causing the fuel to vapor lock.  No luck.  The shutdown
still occurred twice on last Sunday.

This last time, I pulled the gas line at the carb (Weber side draft).  No
fuel.  I then pulled the gas line coming into the fuel pump.  No flowing gas
there, either.  I waited the required 5 minutes and tried to start.  She
started right up and I got home with no problem.

So what is going on?  Failing fuel pump?  Vapor lock between the fuel tank
and the fuel pump?  Clogged fuel filter?  Clogged fuel tank pickup tube?
Sediment in the bottom of the 26 year old fuel tank?  All of the above?
None of the above?

By the way, this seems to occur when I'm less than a third of tank full.  I
filled up on Sunday afternoon and I have had no problems since then.

TIA

D. L. Parrott

1980 Triumph Spitfire "PJ"

Savannah, Ga