RE: Do I tinker with my leaf spring?

To: "James Knowles" <James.Knowles@telelogic.com>,
Subject: RE: Do I tinker with my leaf spring?
From: "Gosling, Richard" <r.gosling@penspen.com>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 17:30:43 +0100
Jamie,

I haven't heard about this mod (but I know little of racing), and I'm
not an expert on suspension at all, but my engineers gut instincts are:

Removing leaf 3, or any leaf, will reduce the spring stiffness.  This
will result in a softer spring, and a lower ride height.

Turning leaf 4 over will make the unloaded shape of the spring less
curved, so reducing ride height, but will not alter the spring
stiffness.

So, my guess is that these changes will bring the arse of your car close
to the ground, and with a reduced spring stiffness any bump in the road
(or weight in the boot) will bring the arse even lower.

Since your car is a Mk2, with the fixed spring (as opposed to the
swing-spring of MkIV and 1500), the reduced spring stiffness will also
reduce your roll stiffness.

Also, most Spits already suffer from a bit of negative camber, once
their rear springs get a bit old.  The reduced ride height will make
this much more pronounced.  I have a vague feeling racers like a good
bit of negative camber, but it might not be such a good thing for a
street car.

However, as I said, I'm no suspension expert, just applying general
engineering principles to what I would expect the results to be.  If
your friend is a racer his actual experience may count for more.  But
then, are you after a street car or a racer?  What is appropriate for a
racer is not necessarily a good idea for a street car.

Richard

This message (including any attachments) is confidential and may be privileged.
If you have received it by mistake please notify the sender by return E-mail
and delete this message from your system. Any unauthorised use or dissemination
of this message in whole or in part is strictly prohibited. Please note that
E-mails are susceptible to change.

The Penspen Group shall not be liable for the improper or incomplete
transmission of the information contained in this communication nor for any
delay in its receipt or damage to your system. The Penspen Group does not
guarantee that the integrity of this communication has been maintained or that
this communication is free of viruses, interceptions or interference.

===     http://www.vtr.org