Re: NEW TOPIC - Why did you buy your Spit?

To: "St.John, Kenneth" <ken.stjohn@hexcel.com>,
Subject: Re: NEW TOPIC - Why did you buy your Spit?
From: Dan Canaan <flinters@picarefy.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 13:08:41 -0700
A co-worker had a 66 Mk II Spit that he came to work in now and then.  It
was the most ratty looking thing around and it smoked terribly.  Still, it
didn't look like anything else on the road.  It was definately British, a
small sports car, and *not* MG.  That last part was enough to perk my
interest.  I have had a lot of background with US cars, primarily Chevrolet
(and yes, 26 Vega's), so working on cars was not new territory.  Working on
a British car however...

He mentioned he wanted to sell it.  I looked at the thing and it was a real
scrap-bound car.  It should have been parted out long ago, though I didn't
see that.  I saw a small primer grey sports car with a loud exhaust.  I saw
top down driving on a sunny day.  I saw... a dream.  Of course that clouded
reality and I bought the car against all better judgement.  Luckily it was
only $250.

I started working on it and found that two pistons had holes in the tops
the size of dimes.  No compression there!  Seats were shot, body toast, and
the tub appeared to have been welded together from two other cars.  But
hey, I was on my way!

Then I found out about a car Huw Upshaw here on the list was letting go.  A
68 Mk III that needed to be either restored or parted out- neither of which
he was going to do.  We arranged for a price and I picked up that car, an
extra chassis, bonnet, engine, etc.  Really worked out to be a good deal
for us both.

That car ran.  It ran pretty decently.  I even took it to work a few times
at a new job.  It had a lot of small problems and I've learned a lot from
folks online here in the list and at the Totally Triumph Network by Jeff
McNeal.  Seeing all the restoration web pages, and finding parts suppliers
actually easy to contact and order parts from for reasonable rates took me
down that frame off restoration route.  It's been a great project and I
love every minute of it.

This level of comraderie for a relatively unknown marque wouldn't be
possible if it were not for the Internet and folks like you.  The support
has really made this a lot of fun and keeps the Triumph spirit alive.