Re: Noisier after bump

To: tboicey@brit.ca
Subject: Re: Noisier after bump
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 08:42:07 -0400
I use Nickle Cadmium rods and arc weld grey cast iron.

Clean the crack thoroughly.  Grind down for a decent V chanel.
Do a gradual preheat of the entire component up through several
hundred degrees (varies depending on the specific iron and the
repair).  Perform the weld.  Use heat oven again to relax
stress.  Gradual cool down.

If you're emitting soot and filth you haven't cleaned the
iron adequately.  Iron is highly porous, so the cleaning
job is intensive.

Threaded stitch type inserts also work superbly for joining
fractured iron.

>>> Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca> 09/05 4:29 PM >>>

  I've never had much luck welding cast iron because of the nature
of the material. When heated up it emits all kinds of sooty crud
that makes welding almost impossible.

  I'm sure there is a way to do it, I'd love to know how.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca