Re: Noisier after bump

To: tboicey@brit.ca
Subject: Re: Noisier after bump
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 08:46:04 -0400
http://www.locknstitch.com has one of the seemingly better types.  Distinctly
different
then the plugs of old.  I have never personally used either method.
Truthfully, I don't
even know if it can be done by a layperson.

An excellent source for experience with repairing cracked iron is a tractor
dealer, especially
a Ford one.  Tractors are mostly iron, and they do break.  They get welded,
pluged and
stitched on a regular basis.  The reason I mentioned Ford is because back in
the old days
of poor metalurgy, Ford tractors were the most common machine being made,
outproducing
everyone else in the world, combined.  So there's a heck of a lot of old Ford
tractors that
have been and are being repaired with fractured iron.

Nolan Penney wrote:
> Threaded stitch type inserts also work superbly for joining
> fractured iron.

  I've seen this process and it's fascinating.

  Where can a guy buy a few stitches to try this on
something old and cracked?

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca