Re: Noisier after bump

To: Jeff Gruber <jgruber@demainsoft.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Noisier after bump
From: "M.Hesselink" <M.Hesselink@chello.nl>
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2000 05:40:40 +0200
Hi!

Exactly the same thing happened to me. I hit a speed bump with the exhaust
pipe, and suddenly the car made a lot more noise.

Weak point in the Spit's exhaust system is the connection between the pipe and
the manifold. Every now and then the gasket blows, replacing it is not very
difficult.
This may have happened when you hit the bump.
If you're unlucky you may have stripped the studs with which the brackets are
joined.
Replacing those is not difficult either, unless they have seized, as was the
case on my car.
Replacing studs and bolts is necessary, though; if the studs are stripped
you'll never be able to tighten the nuts sufficiently, and you'll keep blowing
your exhaust gaskets.

Good luck, let me know how you get on!

Marc

ps: One of the reasons the gaskets blow all the time is that the standard
gasket is made of very "soft" copper. I've heard about stronger stainless steel
gaskets, but have never seen anyone selling them. Has anyone else?