RE: So, who wants to sell me a Spitfire OD tranny?

To: "'brad.kahler@141.com'" <brad.kahler@141.com>
Subject: RE: So, who wants to sell me a Spitfire OD tranny?
From: Chris De Wet <DeWetC1@sapo.co.za>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 10:04:36 +0200
Brad

Thank you very much for the information . Best news I've had in a long while
. It sounds encouraging .

Please provide me with as much information on this subject as you possibly
can . I would hate to purchase items which I cannot use :-) . I would also
like to keep my Spitfire as original as possible .

I have a few complete non o/d Mk 1 gearboxes ( trannys ) . FC serial numbers
I might also have one or two non o/d Mk 3 gearboxes . FD serial numbers .

If I understand it correctly I will need the following :

1) D type o/d unit ( complete with solenoid , inhibitor switch and angle
drive ) pulled from Mk 1 o/d gearbox . ( Will the units from Mk 2 , Mk 3 and
IV Spitfires work ? )

2) Complete mainshaft pulled from Mk 1 o/d gearbox . ( Will the units from
Mk 2 , Mk 3 and IV Spitfires work ? )

3) Overdrive relay unit .
4) Overdrive scroll / script badge for boot / trunk .
5) Overdrive wiring .
6) Overdrive switch ( steering column stalk and special cowling )
7) longer speedo cable

I could use the same diff / rear end and shorten my existing prop-shaft .
Is this correct ? Anything else ?

Kind regards .

Chris de Wet
PO Box 472 , Ifafi , 0260 , South Africa
One '56 TR 3 with o/d , two Heralds and four early Spitfires without o/d .
'65 TR 4 A IRS ( hopefully soon )
'28 Model A Ford Roadster ( hopefully soon )