Re: On the road again

To: "Dean Dashwood" <ddashwoo@ect.enron.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: On the road again
From: "David A Templeton" <davidt@opentext.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 10:02:18 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: Dean Dashwood <ddashwoo@ect.enron.com>
To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>; <davidt@opentext.com>
Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 1999 4:11 AM

> Hi David!
>
> You can get to the bleed nipple from the engine compartment?  Wow!  What
car is
> this on?  I know people have tried to get to it from underneath the car in
the
> past (they usually say it's possible, but not worth the effort) but I've
never
> heard this suggested before!  Pity I bled my clutch two weeks ago by
taking the
> interior apart, and it (hopefully) won't need doing again for a while.

I have a GT6 engine & gearbox in the car.  But the funny thing is the GT6
workshop manual even states to remove the interior!

> Anyway, to answer your questions as best I can:
>
> 1) No, the clutch can't be adjusted, but as long as it engages fully when
the
> pedal is released there shouldn't be a problem.  Is this your only car?
If it
> is, you might find that you just got so used to the clutch engaging early
that
> now it's back to normal it feels strange.

Well actually it is the opposite it disengages almost at the floor.

> 2) I'm sure you can, but I don't know where.  Do none of the big suppliers
list
> them?  Otherwise, is there a scrap yard near you?
>
> 3) Sounds like the park switch to me.  Check that you've got all the wires
> the park switch connected correctly, then check that neither the pin at
the
> bottom of the switch, nor the cam on the motor which operates this pin,
are
> worn.  If all this check out, get your meter out and make sure that the
switch
> itself is working correctly (can't remember how to do this off the top of
my
> head, but I figured it out by trial and error, so I can't be difficult!)

I guess I am going to have to trace the wiring under the dash by the gearbox
cover.  That is the only piece I have touched.

> Hopefully that'll help you a bit.
>
> Dean

 Thanks

David A. Templeton
mailto:davidt@opentext.com

74 Spitfire "Spit-Six"  Comm #: FM10491U
using a '73 MkIII GT6 powerhouse
and suspension KF1951HE.
"The ultimate GT6 convertible  :-) "