Re: On the road again

To: David A Templeton <davidt@opentext.com>
Subject: Re: On the road again
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 13:06:49 -0700
>1/ Can the clutch be adjusted?
*********************************
No. there is no adjustment for the Spitfire or GT6 clutch-
*********************************
>2/ Where can I get a replacement clutch pedal?  Or can I repair the one I
>have?
*********************************
IF no longer available new, then a junked car is the only source, but
chances are that it's in the same condition.  This is a pretty common
ailment for cars of this age.  The best fix is to re-drill a larger hole
(around 3/8 inch? I can't remember the size it's been so long since I did
this) centered where the original was.  The idea is to have a larger hole
for the next item.  Make up a bushing, about the same thickness of the fork
it fits into, with just a little clearance on either side to spare, and the
same diameter as the hole you made into the pedal, and braze this piece
into your old (drilled out) pedal.  drill a hole into the new, thicker
piece to match the pin diameter, again with the proper clearance, and you
now have a much larger surface area to help distribute the load.  Lubricate
and re-install.  You'll never have to worry about it again.  If there is
any wear, it will be in the "replaceable" items anyway. It's been at least
20 years since I did this on my "elongated" clutch link hole and no signs
of wear yet.

72 PI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)