Re: [Shop-talk] Automatic driveway gates

To: Jim Stone <1789alpine@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Automatic driveway gates
From: old dirtbeard <dirtbeard@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 08:07:17 -0800
Cc: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>

--000000000000b5d7b705f4d3642d

Although I have a swinging gate and do not really have room for a slider,
there are two structural issues that I see with swinging gates:

   1. The unsupported weight across the length of them. The longer the
   gate, the more weight there is at the opening and the gates will tend to
   sag over time. I actually use a rolling floor jack on the opening end an=
   large c-clamps at the hinged end to "realign" the gate latch striking pl=
ate
   from time to time (every few years) as it sags out of alignment.
   2. Wind. If you have a bar or tube type gate, it is not a problem, but
   if you want to have an opaque gate, and your locale is prone to high-win=
ds,
   then the winds potentially can cause problems with the gate opening or
   closing.

You should not have either of these problems with a sliding gate.

Sliders though are more prone to debris in the track, derailing,
etc., particularly if the drive is not paved.

On Thu, Feb 16, 2023 at 7:53 AM Jim Stone <1789alpine@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> ratty looking enclosed trailer for my Alpines and, from time to time,
> random car parts sitting next to it. Stockade fencing was there when we
> bought the house and we=E2=80=99re going to redo it to make it a little b=
etter
> looking but still block the view.
>
> FWIW, the driveway is currently unpaved but we plan on paving it in the
> spring.  That doesn=E2=80=99t necessarily impact a swinging gate, but wou=
ld
> probably be something to think about with a slider.
>
> Jim
>
> On Feb 16, 2023, at 9:47 AM, Pat Horne <patintexas@icloud.com> wrote:
>
> Next question I have is what is the purpose of the gate? Keep honest
> people out? Keep someone from driving through the closed gate? Keep
> livestock in/out?
>
> There are a lot of sliding gates around here, I=E2=80=99ll take a look at=
 how much
> they overlap. Some are cantilevered & some have a v-wheel that rides on a=
> angle iron track across the drive. Ones I recall seeing don=E2=80=99t ove=
rlap on
> the side the gate goes to, but there is a stationary =E2=80=9CY=E2=80=9D =
shaped guide that
> the gate goes into. The Y is on the gate post but could just as easily be
> on the gate.
>
> I can send you some photos if you like, it would take me a few days to go
> around & get them.
>
> Peace,
> Pat
>
> Pat Horne
> We support Habitat for Humanity
>

> On Feb 16, 2023, at 8:36 AM, Jim Stone <1789alpine@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> =EF=BB=BFThanks for all of the advice, guys.  The area between the garage=
 and the
> gate is not all that great and I think a single swinging gate would be mo=
re
> trouble than it is worth. That said, I am starting to think that a slidin=
> gate might be the way to go and I have plenty of room on one side for the
> gate to slide.  But, I know nothing about siding gates and have some
> research to do.  And, fabricating one 16=E2=80=99 or so frame (I gather y=
ou need
> plenty of overlap on each end) seems a lot more work than two 6.5=E2=80=
=99 ones.
> Lots to figure out, but fortunately I have time.   I=E2=80=99ll try to re=
member to
> update the list when I am done.
>
> Jim
>

> On Feb 13, 2023, at 10:06 PM, old dirtbeard <dirtbeard@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Jim,
>
> My gate opening also is just over 13' and I am using a single swing gate
> with one of the GTO SW4000 XLS gate openers.
>
> This opener is rated for up to 20' gates and 1,000 lbs. It should be abou=
> $1,100 if you have room for a single swing gate:

nbXKjIGU_QIVQRh9Ch1cAAq7EAQYASABEgIeJvD_BwE

> [...]
=80=99t be
>> any easier than just running it to the garage, so I=E2=80=99ll probably =
skip that.
>> Weather-wise we are on Eastern Long Island and our climate isn=E2=80=99t=
 too
>> extreme, especially compared to Michigan!
>>
>> As for a keypad, whether or not I add one will depend on when I get this
>> all done.  We=E2=80=99re just starting an addition to our house and cont=
ractors and
>> construction vehicles need access to the back driveway (our house is a t=
hru
>> lot).  After that, it is pretty much just my wife and me and the main
>> entrance to the house is in the front, so guests won=E2=80=99t often nee=
d access to
>> the back.
>>
>> My main interest at this point is brand recommendations.  It is hard to
>> make exact comparisons, but it looks like the basic system (minus back u=
>> batteries, solar panels, etc.) will run me anywhere from around $700 to
>> $2000, which is a pretty wide range.  Common, readily available brands I=
=E2=80=99ve
>> seen appear to be Mighty Mule, Ghost Controls, Topens.  Doug on this lis=
>> recommended a GTO until that looks really nice, but is about $1700 for d=
ual
>> gates and might be overkill for my needs.  That said, having a trusted
>> satisfied customer recommendation is worth a lot, so that remains in the
>> consideration set.
>>
>> I=E2=80=99m still in the researching phase, so any input will be greatly
>> appreciated.
>>
>> Jim
>>
>> > On Feb 13, 2023, at 3:43 PM, <alfuller194@gmail.com> <
>> alfuller194@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi Jim:
>> >
>> > Do you have any particular needs as far as gate configuration go?
>> >
>> > My step-mother has a swing gate, but the clearance to the street means
>> you
>> > have to [1] when entering wait on the street for it to open, with adde=
>> risk
>> > of oncoming traffic, and [2] when leaving - wait on the street to
>> ensure it
>> > closed.
>> >
>> > A condo complex in California had a lift-up gate, which constantly
>> broke the
>> > belts that held up the gate. We really didn't need a lit gate, as ther=
>> was
>> > never an snow...
>> >
>> > Places in Michigan had gates that swung or retracted, but they would g=
et
>> > hung up in the snow or ice in the winter...
>> >
>> > If you are in a place where the electric power is unreliable, you migh=
>> want
>> > to consider solar power and/or backup.  Do you need or want to
>> integrate a
>> > keypad into the controls? Same for an intercom?
>> >
>> > I'm sure there are more considerations, but those are what come

--=20
Best,

Doug

--000000000000b5d7b705f4d3642d

hough I have a swinging gate and do not really have room for a slider, ther=
e are two structural issues that I see with swinging gates:</div><div class=
=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:small"><ol><li>The unsupported weight=
 across the length of them. The longer the gate, the more weight there is a=
t the opening and the gates will tend to sag over time. I actually use a ro=
lling floor jack on the opening end and large c-clamps at the hinged end to=
 &quot;realign&quot; the gate latch striking plate from time to time (every=
 few years) as it sags out of alignment.</li><li>Wind. If you have a bar or=
 tube type gate, it is not a problem, but if you want to have an opaque gat=
e, and your locale is prone to high-winds, then the winds potentially can c=
div><div>Sliders though are more prone to debris in the track, derailing, e=
eb 16, 2023 at 7:53 AM Jim Stone &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:1789alpine@gmail.com=
uote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,2=
04);padding-left:1ex"><div>Thank you for that offer, but I don=E2=80=99t th=
ink it is worth your time to take the photos, at least at this early stage.=
v>The gate has three purposes: to keep the deer out (we have a ton), to kee=
p my dog in, and to hide what is in my driveway.=C2=A0 My property is a thr=
u lot, with my shop/garage in the back.=C2=A0 Ours is the only house on the=
 street that has the garage in the back.=C2=A0 I try to be sensitive to how=
 it looks to my neighbors, hence the current stockade fence/gate there. =C2=
=A0 I have a pretty ratty looking enclosed trailer for my Alpines and, from=
 time to time, random car parts sitting next to it. Stockade fencing was th=
ere when we bought the house and we=E2=80=99re going to redo it to make it =
e spring.=C2=A0 That doesn=E2=80=99t necessarily impact a swinging gate, bu=
t 9:47 AM, Pat Horne &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:patintexas@icloud.com"; target=3D=
font-family:Helvetica;font-size:14px;font-style:normal;font-variant-caps:no=
rmal;font-weight:400;letter-spacing:normal;text-align:start;text-indent:0px=
;text-transform:none;white-space:normal;word-spacing:0px;text-decoration:no=
ne;float:none;display:inline">Next question I have is what is the purpose o=
f the gate? Keep honest people out? Keep someone from driving through the c=
losed gate? Keep livestock in/out?</span><div style=3D"font-family:Helvetic=
a;font-size:14px;font-style:normal;font-variant-caps:normal;font-weight:400=
;letter-spacing:normal;text-align:start;text-indent:0px;text-transform:none=
;white-space:normal;word-spacing:0px;text-decoration:none"><br></div><div s=
tyle=3D"font-family:Helvetica;font-size:14px;font-style:normal;font-variant=
-caps:normal;font-weight:400;letter-spacing:normal;text-align:start;text-in=
dent:0px;text-transform:none;white-space:normal;word-spacing:0px;text-decor=
ation:none">There are a lot of sliding gates around here, I=E2=80=99ll take=
 a look at how much they overlap. Some are cantilevered &amp; some have a v=
-wheel that rides on an angle iron track across the drive. Ones I recall se=
eing don=E2=80=99t overlap on the side the gate goes to, but there is a sta=
tionary =E2=80=9CY=E2=80=9D shaped guide that the gate goes into. The Y is =
on the gate post but could just as easily be on the gate.=C2=A0</div><div s=
tyle=3D"font-family:Helvetica;font-size:14px;font-style:normal;font-variant=
-caps:normal;font-weight:400;letter-spacing:normal;text-align:start;text-in=
dent:0px;text-transform:none;white-space:normal;word-spacing:0px;text-decor=
ation:none"><br></div><div style=3D"font-family:Helvetica;font-size:14px;fo=
nt-style:normal;font-variant-caps:normal;font-weight:400;letter-spacing:nor=
mal;text-align:start;text-indent:0px;text-transform:none;white-space:normal=
;word-spacing:0px;text-decoration:none">I can send you some photos if you l=
ike, it would take me a few days to go around &amp; get them.=C2=A0</div><d=
iv style=3D"font-family:Helvetica;font-size:14px;font-style:normal;font-var=
iant-caps:normal;font-weight:400;letter-spacing:normal;text-align:start;tex=
t-indent:0px;text-transform:none;white-space:normal;word-spacing:0px;text-d=
ecoration:none"><br></div><div style=3D"font-family:Helvetica;font-size:14p=
x;font-style:normal;font-variant-caps:normal;font-weight:400;letter-spacing=
:normal;text-align:start;text-indent:0px;text-transform:none;white-space:no=
rmal;word-spacing:0px;text-decoration:none">Peace,</div><div style=3D"font-=
family:Helvetica;font-size:14px;font-style:normal;font-variant-caps:normal;=
font-weight:400;letter-spacing:normal;text-align:start;text-indent:0px;text=
-transform:none;white-space:normal;word-spacing:0px;text-decoration:none">P=
 AM, Jim Stone &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:1789alpine@gmail.com"; target=3D"_blank=
=BFThanks for all of the advice, guys.=C2=A0 The area between the garage an=
d the gate is not all that great and I think a single swinging gate would b=
e more trouble than it is worth. That said, I am starting to think that a s=
liding gate might be the way to go and I have plenty of room on one side fo=
r the gate to slide.=C2=A0 But, I know nothing about siding gates and have =
some research to do.=C2=A0 And, fabricating one 16=E2=80=99 or so frame (I =
gather you need plenty of overlap on each end) seems a lot more work than t=
wo 6.5=E2=80=99 ones.=C2=A0 Lots to figure out, but fortunately I have time=
. =C2=A0 I=E2=80=99ll try to remember to update the list when I am done.<di=
On Feb 13, 2023, at 10:06 PM, old dirtbeard &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:dirtbeard=
div><div dir=3D"ltr"><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:small"=
div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:small">My gate opening =
also is just over 13&#39; and I am using a single swing gate with one of th=
e GTO SW4000 XLS gate openers.=C2=A0</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" styl=
e=3D"font-size:small"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-=
size:small">This opener is rated for up to 20&#39; gates and 1,000 lbs. It =
should be about $1,100 if you have room for a single swing gate:</div><div =
class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:small"><a href=3D"https://www.ga=
tecrafters.com/product_detail_875.aspx?gclid=3DEAIaIQobChMInbXKjIGU_QIVQRh9=
Ch1cAAq7EAQYASABEgIeJvD_BwE" target=3D"_blank">https://www.gatecrafters.com=
/product_detail_875.aspx?gclid=3DEAIaIQobChMInbXKjIGU_QIVQRh9Ch1cAAq7EAQYAS=
ABEgIeJvD_BwE</a></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:smal=
ll run on battery with a charger that could be from 110VAC. I ran 110 VAC i=
n buried conduit to the gate (I wanted AC receptacles there anyway) and the=
n plugged the charger in there, but you also could run the low voltage cabl=
e in the ground from the charger in the garage out to the gate.</div><div c=
lass=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:small"><br></div><div class=3D"gm=
ail_default" style=3D"font-size:small">A solar charger also would be suffic=
ient to keep the battery charged if you do not want to run cable or you do =
not want=C2=A0AC out at the gate. There really is no need for AC at the gat=
e unless you want it..</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size=
also am just using the remote to open and close the gate from the cars, gar=
age, house, etc. There is no reason to run control wires.</div><div class=
=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:small"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_=
default" style=3D"font-size:small">I can send photos if you would like.</di=
ss=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:small">best,</div><div class=3D"gma=
il_default" style=3D"font-size:small"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default=
" style=3D"font-size:small">doug</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D=
=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Mon, Feb 13, 2023 at 6:15 PM Jim Stone &lt=
;<a href=3D"mailto:1789alpine@gmail.com"; target=3D"_blank">1789alpine@gmail=
gin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1=
ex">The driveway opening is just over 13=E2=80=99, so two 6 1/2=E2=80=99 ga=
tes.=C2=A0 The gates are about 40=E2=80=99 from the garage and I plan on bu=
rying a section of pvc conduit from the gate to the garage to run the wire =
and put the controls in the garage.=C2=A0 I=E2=80=99ll probably use a batte=
ry backup, but our power is pretty reliable and I have a back-up generator =
wired into the main panel (manual transfer switch) so losing power wouldn=
=E2=80=99t be too big a deal.=C2=A0 The back is pretty shaded and running w=
ire to a sunny area for solar panel wouldn=E2=80=99t be any easier than jus=
t running it to the garage, so I=E2=80=99ll probably skip that.=C2=A0 Weath=
er-wise we are on Eastern Long Island and our climate isn=E2=80=99t too ext=
reme, especially compared to Michigan!<br><br>As for a keypad, whether or n=
ot I add one will depend on when I get this all done.=C2=A0 We=E2=80=99re j=
ust starting an addition to our house and contractors and construction vehi=
cles need access to the back driveway (our house is a thru lot).=C2=A0 Afte=
r that, it is pretty much just my wife and me and the main entrance to the =
house is in the front, so guests won=E2=80=99t often need access to the bac=
k.<br><br>My main interest at this point is brand recommendations.=C2=A0 It=
 is hard to make exact comparisons, but it looks like the basic system (min=
us back up batteries, solar panels, etc.) will run me anywhere from around =
$700 to $2000, which is a pretty wide range.=C2=A0 Common, readily availabl=
e brands I=E2=80=99ve seen appear to be Mighty Mule, Ghost Controls, Topens=
.=C2=A0 Doug on this list recommended a GTO until that looks really nice, b=
ut is about $1700 for dual gates and might be overkill for my needs.=C2=A0 =
That said, having a trusted satisfied customer recommendation is worth a lo=
t, so that remains in the consideration set.<br><br>I=E2=80=99m still in th=
e researching phase, so any input will be greatly appreciated.<br><br>Jim<b=
r><br>&gt; On Feb 13, 2023, at 3:43 PM, &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:alfuller194@g=
mail.com" target=3D"_blank">alfuller194@gmail.com</a>&gt; &lt;<a href=3D"ma=
ilto:alfuller194@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">alfuller194@gmail.com</a>&gt;=
n><br>&gt; Do you have any particular needs as far as gate configuration go=
he clearance to the street means you<br>&gt; have to [1] when entering wait=
 on the street for it to open, with added risk<br>&gt; of oncoming traffic,=
 and [2] when leaving - wait on the street to ensure it<br>&gt; closed.<br>=
 gate, which constantly broke the<br>&gt; belts that held up the gate. We r=
eally didn&#39;t need a lit gate, as there was<br>&gt; never an snow...<br>=
retracted, but they would get<br>&gt; hung up in the snow or ice in the win=
lectric power is unreliable, you might want<br>&gt; to consider solar power=
 and/or backup.=C2=A0 Do you need or want to integrate a<br>&gt; keypad int=
#39;m sure there are more considerations, but those are what come immediate=
&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:shop-talk-bounces@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank">s=
hop-talk-bounces@autox.team.net</a>&gt; On Behalf Of Jim Stone<br>&gt; Sent=
: Sunday, February 12, 2023 11:30 AM<br>&gt; To: Shop Talk &lt;<a href=3D"m=
ailto:shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net" target=3D"_blank">shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net<=
=C2=A0</span><br>&gt; Does anyone have any experience installing automatic =
driveway gate openers?<br>&gt; It looks pretty straight-forward, but any ad=
vice and/or brand<br>&gt; recommendations would be greatly appreciated.=C2=
=A0 I will be installing a dual<br>&gt; gate opener for the driveway to my =
;<span>=C2=A0</span><a href=3D"mailto:Shop-talk@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_=
ef=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html"; rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank"=
t/pipermail/shop-talk" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team=
tox.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.tea=