Re: [Shop-talk] Automatic driveway gates

To: "'Jim Stone'" <1789alpine@gmail.com>, "'Shop Talk'" <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Automatic driveway gates
From: <alfuller194@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 12:43:13 -0800
Hi Jim:

Do you have any particular needs as far as gate configuration go?

My step-mother has a swing gate, but the clearance to the street means you
have to [1] when entering wait on the street for it to open, with added risk
of oncoming traffic, and [2] when leaving - wait on the street to ensure it
closed.

A condo complex in California had a lift-up gate, which constantly broke the
belts that held up the gate. We really didn't need a lit gate, as there was
never an snow...

Places in Michigan had gates that swung or retracted, but they would get
hung up in the snow or ice in the winter...

If you are in a place where the electric power is unreliable, you might want
to consider solar power and/or backup.  Do you need or want to integrate a
keypad into the controls? Same for an intercom?

I'm sure there are more considerations, but those are what come immediately
to mind.

All the best,

Al Fuller