Re: [Shop-talk] Automatic driveway gates

To: Jim Stone <1789alpine@gmail.com>, Shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Automatic driveway gates
From: old dirtbeard <dirtbeard@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 19:06:13 -0800

--000000000000a79f8e05f4a03fad

Hi Jim,

My gate opening also is just over 13' and I am using a single swing gate
with one of the GTO SW4000 XLS gate openers.

This opener is rated for up to 20' gates and 1,000 lbs. It should be about
$1,100 if you have room for a single swing gate:
https://www.gatecrafters.com/product_detail_875.aspx?gclid=3DEAIaIQobChMInb=
XKjIGU_QIVQRh9Ch1cAAq7EAQYASABEgIeJvD_BwE

These all run on battery with a charger that could be from 110VAC. I ran
110 VAC in buried conduit to the gate (I wanted AC receptacles there
anyway) and then plugged the charger in there, but you also could run the
low voltage cable in the ground from the charger in the garage out to the
gate.

A solar charger also would be sufficient to keep the battery charged if you
do not want to run cable or you do not want AC out at the gate. There
really is no need for AC at the gate unless you want it..

I also am just using the remote to open and close the gate from the cars,
garage, house, etc. There is no reason to run control wires.

I can send photos if you would like.

best,

doug

On Mon, Feb 13, 2023 at 6:15 PM Jim Stone <1789alpine@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
=80=99t be
> any easier than just running it to the garage, so I=E2=80=99ll probably s=
kip that.
> Weather-wise we are on Eastern Long Island and our climate isn=E2=80=99t =
too
> extreme, especially compared to Michigan!
>
> As for a keypad, whether or not I add one will depend on when I get this
> all done.  We=E2=80=99re just starting an addition to our house and contr=
actors and
> construction vehicles need access to the back driveway (our house is a th=
ru
> lot).  After that, it is pretty much just my wife and me and the main
> entrance to the house is in the front, so guests won=E2=80=99t often need=
 access to
> the back.
>
> My main interest at this point is brand recommendations.  It is hard to
> make exact comparisons, but it looks like the basic system (minus back up
> batteries, solar panels, etc.) will run me anywhere from around $700 to
> $2000, which is a pretty wide range.  Common, readily available brands I=
=E2=80=99ve
> seen appear to be Mighty Mule, Ghost Controls, Topens.  Doug on this list
> recommended a GTO until that looks really nice, but is about $1700 for du=
al
> gates and might be overkill for my needs.  That said, having a trusted
> satisfied customer recommendation is worth a lot, so that remains in the
> consideration set.
>
> I=E2=80=99m still in the researching phase, so any input will be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Jim
>
> > On Feb 13, 2023, at 3:43 PM, <alfuller194@gmail.com> <
> alfuller194@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Jim:
> >
> > Do you have any particular needs as far as gate configuration go?
> >
> > My step-mother has a swing gate, but the clearance to the street means
> you
> > have to [1] when entering wait on the street for it to open, with added
> risk
> > of oncoming traffic, and [2] when leaving - wait on the street to ensur=
> it
> > closed.
> >
> > A condo complex in California had a lift-up gate, which constantly brok=
> the
> > belts that held up the gate. We really didn't need a lit gate, as there
> was
> > never an snow...
> >
> > Places in Michigan had gates that swung or retracted, but they would ge=
> > hung up in the snow or ice in the winter...
> >
> > If you are in a place where the electric power is unreliable, you might
> want
> > to consider solar power and/or backup.  Do you need or want to integrat=
> > keypad into the controls? Same for an intercom?
> >
> > I'm sure there are more considerations, but those are what come

--=20
Best,

Doug

--000000000000a79f8e05f4a03fad

 is just over 13&#39; and I am using a single swing gate with one of the GT=
O SW4000 XLS gate openers.=C2=A0</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D=
"font-size:small"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size=
:small">This opener is rated for up to 20&#39; gates and 1,000 lbs. It shou=
ld be about $1,100 if you have room for a single swing gate:</div><div clas=
s=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:small"><a href=3D"https://www.gatecr=
afters.com/product_detail_875.aspx?gclid=3DEAIaIQobChMInbXKjIGU_QIVQRh9Ch1c=
AAq7EAQYASABEgIeJvD_BwE">https://www.gatecrafters.com/product_detail_875.as=
px?gclid=3DEAIaIQobChMInbXKjIGU_QIVQRh9Ch1cAAq7EAQYASABEgIeJvD_BwE</a></div=
s=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:small">These all run on battery with=
 a charger that could be from 110VAC. I ran 110 VAC in buried conduit to th=
e gate (I wanted AC receptacles there anyway) and then plugged the charger =
in there, but you also could run the low voltage cable in the ground from t=
he charger in the garage out to the gate.</div><div class=3D"gmail_default"=
 style=3D"font-size:small"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"=
font-size:small">A solar charger also would be sufficient to keep the batte=
ry charged if you do not want to run cable or you do not want=C2=A0AC out a=
t the gate. There really is no need for AC at the gate unless you want it..=
 class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:small">I also am just using the=
 remote to open and close the gate from the cars, garage, house, etc. There=
 is no reason to run control wires.</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=
=3D"font-size:small"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-s=
ize:small">I can send photos if you would like.</div><div class=3D"gmail_de=
fault" style=3D"font-size:small"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" sty=
le=3D"font-size:small">best,</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"fon=
t-size:small"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:sma=
tr">On Mon, Feb 13, 2023 at 6:15 PM Jim Stone &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:1789alp=
ss=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid =
rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">The driveway opening is just over 13=E2=
=80=99, so two 6 1/2=E2=80=99 gates.=C2=A0 The gates are about 40=E2=80=99 =
from the garage and I plan on burying a section of pvc conduit from the gat=
e to the garage to run the wire and put the controls in the garage.=C2=A0 I=
=E2=80=99ll probably use a battery backup, but our power is pretty reliable=
 and I have a back-up generator wired into the main panel (manual transfer =
switch) so losing power wouldn=E2=80=99t be too big a deal.=C2=A0 The back =
is pretty shaded and running wire to a sunny area for solar panel wouldn=E2=
=80=99t be any easier than just running it to the garage, so I=E2=80=99ll p=
robably skip that.=C2=A0 Weather-wise we are on Eastern Long Island and our=
 climate isn=E2=80=99t too extreme, especially compared to Michigan!<br>
As for a keypad, whether or not I add one will depend on when I get this al=
l done.=C2=A0 We=E2=80=99re just starting an addition to our house and cont=
ractors and construction vehicles need access to the back driveway (our hou=
se is a thru lot).=C2=A0 After that, it is pretty much just my wife and me =
and the main entrance to the house is in the front, so guests won=E2=80=99t=
 often need access to the back.<br>
My main interest at this point is brand recommendations.=C2=A0 It is hard t=
o make exact comparisons, but it looks like the basic system (minus back up=
 batteries, solar panels, etc.) will run me anywhere from around $700 to $2=
000, which is a pretty wide range.=C2=A0 Common, readily available brands I=
=E2=80=99ve seen appear to be Mighty Mule, Ghost Controls, Topens.=C2=A0 Do=
ug on this list recommended a GTO until that looks really nice, but is abou=
t $1700 for dual gates and might be overkill for my needs.=C2=A0 That said,=
 having a trusted satisfied customer recommendation is worth a lot, so that=
 remains in the consideration set.<br>
I=E2=80=99m still in the researching phase, so any input will be greatly ap=
preciated.<br>
Jim<br>
&gt; On Feb 13, 2023, at 3:43 PM, &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:alfuller194@gmail.c=
om" target=3D"_blank">alfuller194@gmail.com</a>&gt; &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:a=
lfuller194@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">alfuller194@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote=
:<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Hi Jim:<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Do you have any particular needs as far as gate configuration go?<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; My step-mother has a swing gate, but the clearance to the street means=
 you<br>
&gt; have to [1] when entering wait on the street for it to open, with adde=
d risk<br>
&gt; of oncoming traffic, and [2] when leaving - wait on the street to ensu=
re it<br>
&gt; closed.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; A condo complex in California had a lift-up gate, which constantly bro=
ke the<br>
&gt; belts that held up the gate. We really didn&#39;t need a lit gate, as =
there was<br>
&gt; never an snow...<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Places in Michigan had gates that swung or retracted, but they would g=
et<br>
&gt; hung up in the snow or ice in the winter...<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; If you are in a place where the electric power is unreliable, you migh=
t want<br>
&gt; to consider solar power and/or backup.=C2=A0 Do you need or want to in=
tegrate a<br>
&gt; keypad into the controls? Same for an intercom?<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; I&#39;m sure there are more considerations, but those are what come im=
mediately<br>
&gt; to mind.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; ----------------<br>
&gt; All the best,<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Al Fuller<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; -----Original Message-----<br>
&gt; From: Shop-talk &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:shop-talk-bounces@autox.team.net=
" target=3D"_blank">shop-talk-bounces@autox.team.net</a>&gt; On Behalf Of J=
im Stone<br>
&gt; Sent: Sunday, February 12, 2023 11:30 AM<br>
&gt; To: Shop Talk &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net"; target=
=3D"_blank">shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net</a>&gt;<br>
&gt; Subject: [Shop-talk] Automatic driveway gates<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Does anyone have any experience installing automatic driveway gate ope=
ners?<br>
&gt; It looks pretty straight-forward, but any advice and/or brand<br>
&gt; recommendations would be greatly appreciated.=C2=A0 I will be installi=
ng a dual<br>
&gt; gate opener for the driveway to my shop.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Thanks,<br>
&gt; Jim<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <a href=3D"mailto:Shop-talk@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank">Shop-tal=
k@autox.team.net</a><br>
&gt; Donate: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html"; rel=3D"noreferrer"=
 target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
&gt; Suggested annual donation=C2=A0 $12.96<br>
&gt; Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk"; rel=3D"no=
referrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a><br>
&gt; <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D=
"_blank">http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>