RE: Computer Question -- Spoofed e-mails

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Computer Question -- Spoofed e-mails
From: PJ McGarvey <pj_mcgarvey@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2007 14:55:09 -0500
There has been a big move by spammers in the past year or so to use "botnets"
or "zombies" as has been referred to here, for sending spam.  Spam blockers
used to rely partly on blocking mail from "open relays" or incorrectly
configured mail servers that allowed anyone to authenticate and send mail.
The recent closing of one of the big databases for tracking open relays,
signifies this shift. It's pretty impossible to keep a database of zombie
machines, as there are millions out there, that constantly change.  New
technologies like heuristics are supposed to be the next way to fight this, so
filters can identify spam, the way you and I can, usually just by looking at
the Subject, and patterns in words, etc.  PJ> To: shop-talk@autox.team.net>
From: matt.lists@trebelhorn.com> Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 19:01:38 -0500>
Subject: Computer Question -- Spoofed e-mails> > > My fiancee and I both have
our own domains.  She has her e-mail  > forwarded to a webmail account; I use
a POP3 account.> > Recently, we've both been getting messages bounced back to
us that we  > never sent.  It appears that spammers are spoofing our
addresses.   > The domain registration service we use -- who also provides the
> forwarding service and POP3 account -- says there's really nothing  > they
can do.> > Is there really nothing to do -- or does step #1 involve getting a
> better registrar?> > Thanks a lot,> Matt & Julie
Get connected - Use your Hotmail address to sign into Windows Live Messenger
now.
http://get.live.com/messenger/overview