Re: 2 vs 4 post lifts

To: eric@megageek.com
Subject: Re: 2 vs 4 post lifts
From: Trevor Boicey <trevor@boicey.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 15:36:03 -0500
eric@megageek.com wrote:
> Again, I think this comes down to "what are you going to use it for?" If
> you just want to do oil changes and use it for storage, the 4 poster is
> going to be better.

   As a reference, I don't even use my 4 post for oil changes any more.
It takes longer to shuffle cars than to just do the oil change wherever
the car is sitting.

   With a 2 post, it would take even longer to set up just to drain
oil... IMHO not worth it...

> Also, I remember a discussion here a while ago where they
> were talking about the ramp spacing on the 4 posted not being fexible
> enough.  In fact, some models could not even support a LBC due to the ramps
> being to far apart.

   I used to have an MG Midget and welded some inner rails to my 4 post
just for that car. Basically some square steel bar with some sliding
pieces to make it removable and only slide up when the lift was at the
bottom.

   It was pretty much a requirement to be able to drive the Midget onto
the hoist safely, especially when alone. But it was straightforward and
probably cost about $40 in steel.