RE: 2 vs 4 post lifts

To: <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: 2 vs 4 post lifts
From: "Kent Sullivan" <kentsu@corvairkid.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 18:34:18 -0800
I personally find 2-post lifts to be a pain in the butt. The little bit of
joy they give me for suspension work is outweighed by the negatives (as Mike
Lee outlined in his post). Additionally, for the kind of car I work on most
(Corvair), removing the exhaust is a breeze on a four-post lift. And rear
axle--what rear axle? Oh, the half shafts. :-) Not a problem, obviously.

I was able to completely remove, service, and reinstall the front
engine/trans/diff mount while the car was on my four-post lift. I have a
sliding jacking tray and was able to position a bottle jack right where I
wanted it, under the diff.

Current project is a steering column swap. It's going very well on the
four-post lift--no access problems.

--Kent