Re: 2 vs 4 post lifts

To: "Matt" <mbarre@juno.com>, shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: 2 vs 4 post lifts
From: eric@megageek.com
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 14:59:03 -0500
Again, I think this comes down to "what are you going to use it for?" If
you just want to do oil changes and use it for storage, the 4 poster is
going to be better. If you want to work on your vehicle, 2 post is your
best option.  (Before I get flamed on, what I'm sure will be a
near-religious topic, if you have a 4 poster, how easy would it be to
remove the exhaust and drop the rear axle?)  Besides, there no way that a
simple tire rotation could be as easy on a 4 poster as it is with a 2
poster.  (and you can only do it on a 4 poster with additional rail kits
(that limit undercar access) and using another jack (which if you have a
jack, you can do the same tire rotation as a 4 posted, but not have to
spend the couple thousand of dollars on the lift.)) Now, I could see if
your floor isn't capibile of the 2 posted (which can be fixed pretty
cheap.)  Or if you rent, using the 4 poster may make more sense as well. As
for "clearance" issues, if your car is to low to the ground to swing the
arms of a 2 post lift under it, you will get stuck driving up most ramps of
the 4 poster. Also, I remember a discussion here a while ago where they
were talking about the ramp spacing on the 4 posted not being fexible
enough.  In fact, some models could not even support a LBC due to the ramps
being to far apart.   One other thing to think about, the 4 posters take up
WAY more space if they are not being used. Full discloser, I have a 2 post
that I love, while my buddy has the 4 poster. Inch "We all know we're
dying, And there's no sign of a parachute." Tori Amos