RE: Measuring tool recommendations?

To: "'Shop Talk'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Measuring tool recommendations?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 11:12:02 -0800
> I may be wrong (since I never do much work that requires complete
> acturacy,) but as long as you use the SAME tool throughout
> the project, I'm
> guessing it doesn't matter if the tool is giving you an
> acurate reading.
> (However, if you are comparing it to a manual or other
> measurement, then it
> would matter.)

That's true to some extent, but accuracy includes repeatability and
consistency.  Repeatability can suffer if, for example, there is excess
backlash in the gear train to drive the needle (on a dial caliper) or the
needle is loose on the shaft.  Consistency can suffer if, for example, there
is dirt/swarf in the rack teeth (on a dial caliper) or one of the optical
lines is scuffed on a digital caliper.

And it's not at all uncommon, at least for me, to be comparing a piece to
the known measurement of what it fits against.  Crankshaft journals on an
engine, for example, or threaded parts that have to mate with an existing
part.  I mostly work on old British cars, with oddball threads and fasteners
all over the place.

Randall

CONFIDENTIALITY. This electronic mail and any files transmitted with it may
contain information proprietary to NavCom Technology, Inc., or one of its
affiliates, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to
whom they are addressed, shall be maintained in confidence and not disclosed to
third parties without the written consent of the sender. If you are not the
intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the electronic mail
to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this electronic
mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying
of this electronic mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
electronic mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by return mail.