RE: WOOT! the tig is here!

To: <WBlack5336@aol.com>, <scott.hall@comcast.net>, <tr3driver@comcast.net>,
Subject: RE: WOOT! the tig is here!
From: "Mullen, Tim \(IIS\)" <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 16:59:09 -0500
WBlack5336@aol.com wrote:

> When the main breaker is off, there is still power in
> the main breaker box in that the cables that feed power
> into the box are still "hot".

To add to this, I have a relative old house with a
strange breaker box.  The power bus is broken into two
sections - the top part is connected to the cables the
feed power into the box.  They are hot all the time.
The main breaker connects this bus to the rest of the
breaker box - all the 110 circuits.

The strange part is that the hot bus has the house's
220 circuits (the stove, AC, and dryer) connected to the
hot all the time part of the bus.  Flipping the main
breaker leaves the 220 circuits hot - they have to be
switched off individually.  Poor design and new code
doesn't allow it.  As a matter of fact in my neighborhood,
any work done to the box to add circuits, etc. has to
start out with the entire box being replaced...

Check with a volt meter even after you turn off the
main breaker...

Tim Mullen

Chantilly, VA