Re: weed trimmers

To: David Cole <racrcole@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: weed trimmers
From: epetrevich@relavis.com
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 11:59:39 -0400
David, I ordered a Ryobi 2 stroke with the "quick attachment" style and
I've been VERY happy with it.
I'm not sure what size string it uses (and I'm not busy to run out and
check it right now)
But having 1 motor for about 4 different tools is GREAT!!  (less
maintenance!  More likely to start when you need it)
I have the following attachments...
Leave blower
lawn vac
weed whacker

My buddy has... (he also has the 4 stroke model)
tree timer
rototiller

The leave blower works OK, (but I really don't have a need for one, I use
it to sweep the driveway every now and then)
The lawn vac works great, but I don't use it that much
The tree timer is a life saver
The rototiller is nothing more than a small little tiller that is about
only good enough to turn loose soil.  (but it's great to use between garden
rows instead of weeding.)

The 4 stroke has alot more power, BUT can not be turn upside down (read
<can't use it for the tree trimer>)

I bought a "re-conditioned" model over 4 years ago and I'm still using it
without any problems.  The only thing I did was add a shoulder strap to it.

Inch

                    David Cole

                    <racrcole@earthlink.        To:
shop-talk@autox.team.net
                    net>                        cc:

                    Sent by:                    Subject:     weed trimmers

                    shop-talk-owner@auto

                    x.team.net

                    06/13/2001 02:35 AM

                    Please respond to

                    David Cole

It's been a litle quiet on this list lately.  This might be off-topic, but
I consider it a tool.  So:

Looking for input on gas powered weed trimmers.  AKA Weed Eaters

The Yeas and Nays would be appreciated.  My old one has finally died after
almost 8 years. Cylinder is so worn it needs a new engine.  That costs more
than a new one. It a Poulan/Weed Eater SST45.  A special model, they only
made it a couple of years and it was a good one.

Wants:
1.  Medium duty, 1.5 acres (about 1.5-2hrs worth of trimming) every 10-12
days from March-October.  Don't want to spend the big bucks for a
Stihl/Echo/ Husky.  Say $85-$130 range.
2.  Straight shaft, for easier reach under shrubs etc.  Straight shaft
doesn't require that it has brush blade capability.  Current dead one has
straight shaft, but can't use a brush blade.
3. At least .080 line.  None of the wimpy .060 that seems to be on all of
Poulan's current 'Featherlight" series
4.  Fairly light weight.  So wife can't use weight as an excuse not to use
it while I'm at work making money to support the family.  <grin>
5.  Easy to start.  See above.

Input on brands appreciated.

BTW, a couple of years ago Ryobi came out with a 4 stroke model.  What
happened with it?

Thanks,

David Cole

///