Re: welding and grinding sheetmetal

To: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Subject: Re: welding and grinding sheetmetal
From: John Nelson <psychod@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 1997 10:27:37 -0800
W. R. Gibbons wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Jan 1997, David F. Darby wrote:
>
> > Hello Mike:
> >
> > After fussing around with wire brushes mounted on drill motors, last week
> > I picked up the DeWalt 4.5" HD angle grinder and a knotted wire cup
> > brush. I have seen the light! It fairly evaporates old paint,
> > undercoating, rust, and just about anything else that gets in the way.
> > The DeWalt uses the SAE 5/8 - 11 spindle.
>
> > I'm a bit of a safety nut, and I would recommend donning goggles,
> > half-mask air-purifying respirator, and hearing protectors when
> > operating the thing. At the very least, one should use safety glasses
> > and an approved toxic-particle mask. You will be kicking up a lot of
> > fine material that might not be so fine for the lungs.
> >
> > David F. Darby
> > Brushing up on my bodywork in the lovely White River Valley of Southern
> > Missouri.
> >

> David and others,
>
> It's also a good idea to wear an apron.  When one of the wires breaks at
> 12K rpm, it is like shooting a needle at you.  I wear a full face
> protector, not just safety glasses.  After the brush has a few million
> rpm on it, it will shed pretty regularly.
>
> Ray (native of Ironton, Mo)
>
>    Ray Gibbons  Dept. of Molecular Physiology & Biophysics
>                 Univ. of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, VT
>                 gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910

Hi,

I have to second Ray’s recommendation to wear an apron. When I did my
car, I found that those high velocity needles can go right through a
cotton shirt and still penetrate the skin. Unless you like looking like
a porcupine, make sure you protect any exposed skin.

--
John Nelson
1964 A-H Sprite MK III