Re: TD Negative Ground Conversion

To: wtsnyder@bellsouth.net
Subject: Re: TD Negative Ground Conversion
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 08:42:46 -0400
Bill,
   Pos to neg earth conversion is easy to do. I did it some time ago when
I wanted to fit a CB radio.
   Aside from easy installation of radios and such, there is no advantage
to doing it, but then there is no particular disadvantage either. Some
say that pos earth gives better sparkplug efficiency, but as there are
probably 100 million cars driving around just fine with neg earth
systems, the difference cannot be great.
  All that's done is to turn the battery around, perhaps changing
cable-end clamps to fit, reverse coil wires, reverse ammeter wires,
spark the dynamo, and, if the clock has been fitted with transistor &
diode, have them re-fitted for the new polarity.  Starter, wipers, lamps
work fine with either polarity.  Original fuel pumps are not polarity
sensitive, though newer ones with the transistor & diodes are. Seems to
me that they would need to be modified internally, as there would be a
ground of sorts through the copper lines --- ask others about this
detail.
  What was the significant improvement in the '66 MGB?
Bob