TSO CD Rom

To: mg-t@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TSO CD Rom
From: TATERRY@aol.com
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 22:23:30 EST
Wayne and others, here is a discussion that was sent to the T-ABC list.  I
haven't received my CD yet...so cannot comment from actual experience......Terry

This is a note for all of you who ordered the TSO CD.  I received
mineyesterday, Friday, and overall it's a nice product and well worth the
money.I did
come up with a few anomalies.  Before I let you in on what I found, Ishould
describe the environment that I'm using.  My desktop is a Dellmachine running
Windows XP with service pack 2.0.  I use Microsoft InternetExplorer version
6.0.
I also have installed Norton Personal Firewall andAntiVirus protection.  This
is important, because the product uses both PDFfiles for the individual copies
of the TSO and a web browser as theinterface.  If you do not experience some
of my finding it could be due thesystem (PC/MAC), and/or operating system you
are using.  Also I'm a nut onsecurity and have my system fairly well locked
down.You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or above to use the tool.
Don'tpanic, this is a free product and on the first page it has a link so you
candown
load it from Adobe.First it's not like a software product.  You do not install
it.  It runsfrom the CD and will automatically start up when the computer
begins to readthe CD.  You will go through two "informational" pages before
coming to theprimary page.  Once here you can select from either technical
articles
or aspecific issue.  There is a search facility; however it only searches
theissue you are currently viewing.  It does allow you to continue the searchto
the next issue and will work through all issues of the TSO.If you run it from
the CD I would recommend that you make a backup copy ontoanother CD and run
from the backup.  This way if the CD is damaged orscratched you can burn a new
copy from the original.  There are no securityhooks that will not allow you to
copy it.You can run it from your hard drive.  It requires 415MB of storage, not
toobad for today machines that come with 40 to 80 gigabytes of storage.  To
dothis you simply copy the entire CD to a new folder on your hard drive.
Tostart the tool, go to the folder where you copied the CD and click on thefile
called "OpenFirst.htm".  For PC users it would be advisable to create ashortcut
and place it on your desktop.  When you start it up you may not beable to move
past the first page by clicking on the "Continue" button.  Ifthis happens look
for a yellow bar just above the page and below theInternet tool bar.  It
should have a message that states "To help protectyour security, Internet
Explorer
has restricted this file..".  Click on theyellow bar and you will get a menu.
 Select the option "Allow BlockedContent.".  You may get a Security Warning
message box, just click the "Yes"option.  You can now click on "Continue"
button to move to the next page.This time you will see a blank page.  Again
move to
the Yellow Bar andselect the "Allow Blocked Content.." option.  Once again
the securitymessage may appear, if so just select "Yes".  Once this happen you
are pastall the security problems and can continue as normal.There is a way to
bypass this problem, but it requires changing a securityoption within Internet
Explorer.  I've requested information on the effectof making this change and
will let you know if it's advisable or not.Oh, one other thing.  There were
times when the main page with the technicaland issue selection seems to freeze.

That is no matter what I did toattempt to select an article or issue the
system did not respond.  I foundthat using the old standard fix of just exiting
out of the tool andrestarting it then everything worked fine.I would also like
to note that there is an excellent cross reference to theTSO in the back of the
"The T Type Restoration Handbook" also put out by theNE MG T Register.  I
believe this can be obtained from Brit Books.