Re: mods

To: "Widiker, John D" <john.widiker@eds.com>, mg-t <mg-t@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: mods
From: Bud Krueger <budkrueger@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 06:23:03 -0500
I can just hope that, whatever you do to the car, it's something that
can be undone by some future owner who wants to know what a TD was
really like.  The below is just IMHO:

Superchargers are a great add-on, but make sure that the engine is solid
before you do it.
5 speed conversions are a waste of money and give you a greater
potential for getting stuck in the middle of nowhere without a source of
parts.  I'll guarantee that I can get parts for a TD gearbox more easily
than for a Datsun 210, or Sierra.
Rear axle conversion to 4.3 or 4.55 is a good thing to do for highway
cruising.  Again, have a healthy engine first and keep the original
gears available.
The only wire wheel conversion that should be on a TD is that from a TF.
Additional fusing can be a good thing if done properly.
Alternators are not necessary. A properly conditioned generator can
handle all of a TD's needs for power unless you're into serious
back-country rallying.

Enjoy a TD as it was meant to be driven.  They're getting scarcer,
please don't destroy another one. Go find a replica if you want
something that looks like a TD.  There's one on eBay for $1000 right now.

Bud Krueger
52TD
Plymouth, Mass.