Re: Spark Plug Non-Fouler

To: fold@bcpl.net, mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spark Plug Non-Fouler
From: Herald1200@aol.com
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 10:31:49 -0400
Stu Keen wrote:

> > Last night a car enthusiast was telling me about Spark Plug Non-Fouler
> > (or anti-fouler) Adapters....
> > Has anyone had experience with these and are they useful for the XPAG?

Chip responded:

> Good grief, it must be a time warp back to a JC Whitney catalog of the
> 1940s or 1950s.  I haven't seen those things in years.  They were used to
> prevent oil fouling on worn out engines where a lot of oil got past the
> rings into the combustion chamber....

And my personal and rather unscientific opinion is that these things belong in
the dustbin with all the other gimmicks. ;-)

A friend's '52 TD came to me a couple years ago for some tuning and such after
many years of storage. Those "things" were on the plugs. Near as I could tell
(after removing them and...uh...storing them elsewhere), they had no effect
whatsoever.

Not surprisingly, what seemed to have a much greater effect on performance was
replacement of one bad spark plug and all four spark plug lead terminals.
Whoever had installed the last set of these -- undoubtedly the same person who
installed the "Non-Foulers" -- apparently went out of their way to find THE
CHEAPEST and most POORLY CONSTRUCTED set of terminals ever. Ultimately, a lot
of the bad running and low power of the car was traceable to the fact that at
least two of these terminals did not actually provide a path for spark between
the HT wire and the plug. For some reason, that seemed to affect performance.
;-)

Once the poor car had a complete ignition system again, it ran
beautifully! On the other hand, it has always amazed me how little British
four-cylinder engines will do their darndest to get you where you need to go,
even if they're one or more
cylinders short at a given time!

--Andy Mace