Re: Spark Plug Non-Fouler

To: MG-T <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spark Plug Non-Fouler
From: Chip Old <fold@bcpl.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 09:30:31 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 09:03 -0400, Stu Keen wrote to MG:

> Last night a car enthusiast was telling me about Spark Plug Non-Fouler
> (or anti-fouler) Adapters. He explained that old engine designs (like
> XPAG) sprayed oil on the plugs and thus cause for fouling. The adapters
> tend to shield the plugs from the spray. He said these were especially
> useful for city driving where engine revs would be low, with frequent
> idles. At freeway speed the oil tends to get burned off.
>
> Has anyone had experience with these and are they useful for the XPAG?
> The plugs in my 51 TD do not foul badly when putting around town, but I
> do experience a noticeable difference when I clean the plugs and start
> off again. I am always interested in ways to improve the performance if
> it's not detrimental to the mechanics or longevity of the engine.
>
> I checked on line and found NAPA carries these adapters. But they sell
> four(4) models for 14mm plug threads. I wonder what the differences are
> (perhaps reach?).

Good grief, it must be a time warp back to a JC Whitney catalog of the
1940s or 1950s.  I haven't seen those things in years.  They were used to
prevent oil fouling on worn out engines where a lot of oil got past the
rings into the combustion chamber.  They're a "get a few extra miles out
of the old clunker because I can't afford an overhaul right now" band aid,
not a permanant cure.  The real cure is to figure out why so much oil is
getting to the combustion chasmber, and fix it.  XPAG engines aren't
"oilers" unless they're worn out or sloppily assembled.

I'm surprised NAPA still lists them.  I would guess the four different
14mm models are for different plug thread lengths, but you should be able
to find out for sure at your local NAPA store.

--
Chip Old               1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  XPAG7430  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland     1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO  CT3479E