Spark Plug Non-Fouler

To: MG <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spark Plug Non-Fouler
From: Stu Keen <simbafish@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 09:03:02 -0400
Last night a car enthusiast was telling me about Spark Plug Non-Fouler (or
anti-fouler) Adapters. He explained that old engine designs (like XPAG)
sprayed oil on the plugs and thus cause for fouling. The adapters tend to
shield the plugs from the spray. He said these were especially useful for
city driving where engine revs would be low, with frequent idles. At freeway
speed the oil tends to get burned off.

Has anyone had experience with these and are they useful for the XPAG? The
plugs in my 51 TD do not foul badly when putting around town, but I do
experience a noticeable difference when I clean the plugs and start off
again. I am always interested in ways to improve the performance if it's not
detrimental to the mechanics or longevity of the engine.

I checked on line and found NAPA carries these adapters. But they sell
four(4) models for 14mm plug threads. I wonder what the differences are
(perhaps reach?).

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

Stu Keen
51 MG TD MkII

PS Evidently not all hurricanes hit here in Florida. Our weather forecast
for today is sunny with zero precipitation. Not so for the Mid Atlantic
States where I came from. Guess Isabel is pulling all our usual moisture
into itself.