Spark Plug Non Fouler Responses

To: MG <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spark Plug Non Fouler Responses
From: Stu Keen <simbafish@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 11:01:19 -0400
Thanks one and all for their replies to my query about spark plug non-fouler
adapters. I did not know the history of these gimmicks and just thought it
might be a nice modification. Now I know it would be a waste of time and
money.

The plugs on my TD basically do not foul, just a little at idle. Carburetors
were rebuilt one year ago. After hard driving, plugs are basically dark
brown, which tells me that the fuel/air mixture is about right.

The original Owner's Manual states oil consumption will be ONE QUART every
1,000 miles of moderate driving or ONE QUART every 500 miles of hard
driving. Mixing my local town and freeway driving, my oil consumption is ONE
QUART every 2200 miles, so pretty good. Just did compression checks last
weekend. Book says for a MK II the readings should be between 110 and 150
psi. My reading is 150 or slightly over (151 - 153). But if I do idle for a
long time, like tinkering with the car in the garage, then the plugs will
start to foul. Perhaps this is because I have a Top Cylinder Oiler which
supplies approx ONE PINT of Marvel Mystery Oil for every 1000 miles. Why am
I using this? It was strongly advised by others back on a trip around the
Great Lakes in 2000. Since then, I have been told it really doesn't do much
good, but I have been too lazy to remove the system. Maybe I should.

Stu Keen

1951 MG TD Mk II