Re: Fuel Tank Slop

To: "Scott Allen" <scottinarl@hotmail.com>, <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel Tank Slop
From: "lbprince" <lbprince@email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 14:14:14 -0800
Scott,

A chrome plumbing sink-drain with holes drilled in it is often recommended
to help prevent fuel sloshing.  The lip of the sink-drain tube rides on the
inner ridge in the gas filler opening.

I first saw this suggestion in the newsletter of the Vintage MG Club of
Southern California.  When I tried it on my TF, however, the fit was too
tight.  I could have driven the sink-drain tube into the tank opening, but
it would have been virtually impossible to get it out.  (I suspect that
because of variation from one fuel tank to another, the sink-drain will work
well in some T-cars and not in others.)

I had a local machine shop make one out of aluminum tube.  It is 3-3/4" long
and slightly less than 1-1/2" in diameter.  A lip is on one end.  Several
holes are drilled in the tube.

Ben