Re: Got some useful data

To: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@config.mail.virginia.edu>
Subject: Re: Got some useful data
From: Byron Short <bshort@AFSinc.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 13:01:28 -0700
Hi John, welcome aboard!

I am going to make a guess about what you are seeing below.  But let me
start by saying what's supposed to happen.

First the general way this should work is that when you close the map
that the gage is hooked to, the gage will close too.  This assumes the
gage is linked directly to the map, that is, the button at the lower
left is for "Dedicated Link".  This is the default.

If you push the button at the lower left the gage become set to
"Automatic Link".  In this mode, whatever map you click on will cause
the gage to re-link to the new map.  If you delete the map it's hooked
to, but there is another map on line, the gage will hook to that other
map.  If you delete the last map, the gage will close.

Now if you aren't getting that functionality, here's my guess as to
what's going on.

Due to a quirk in the way DDE channels communicate, if you maximize a
map, the DDE command channel will get lost.  The gage will still display
the data from the map, as that information travels on the DDE data
channel.  But the command channel is the one that tells the gage to
close itself, or to appear on top.  When this channel is lost, the gage
will refuse to close automatically when you close the attached map.

Because of this I don't maximize maps very often.  I've tried to find a
programming way around this, but I suspect it's in the language.  (Of
course now that I've publicly said that the very next time I look it'll
jump right out at me and I'll wonder why I hadn't seen it before.)

The other symptom of this is when you start a gage, and a second copy of
GEEZ spontaneously starts.  This will happen 100% of the time when your
selected map is maximized.

So that's a long answer to say that I imagine your map was maximized and
that causes a several related kinks.  Try opening the gage without
having the map maximized, and the behavior should be as described above.

--Byron