Re: [Roadsters] rear springs and shifter boot

To: Chris Collett <cccracing@gmail.com>, "Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] rear springs and shifter boot
From: Gary and Cindy Ault <aultgc@att.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 20:23:15 -0700
Chris,

It has been my experience that all the stock rear leaf springs eventually
weaken.  When we lived in Southern California in the early '70s, it would
bottom on almost all the famous drainage swales at each intersection.  I first
had the springs re-arched, but that fix did not last.  Then, at some point, I
added a leaf between the 3rd and 4th leaves.  Solved the problem, but way too
stiff for daily driving.  Sometime in the late '70s or early '80s, I bought a
new pair of stock springs, which I still have on the car.  Those, plus Koni
shocks at the default setting seem to have it under control.  If it ever needs
additional stiffening, I plan to replace, not add to, the third leaf with one
made of more modern material.

Gary