Re: Replacement rear axle assembly

To: "Ronnie Day" <ronday@tlabgalaxy.net>,
Subject: Re: Replacement rear axle assembly
From: "Mark Sedlack" <msedlack@neo.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 00:10:18 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: "Ronnie Day" <ronday@tlabgalaxy.net>
To: "Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 11:27 PM

> > Mark Sedlack
>
> > I put a ford 8.8 LSD in the "R".
> >
> > Used, low mileage '93 mustang axle - $200
> > Labor & parts to cut down housing, install perches,
> > new bearings, clutches, etc., setup everything - $635
> > Price for Moser to cut, respline, and redrill lug holes - $170
> > Leaving twin, 30 ft. long  black patches down the street - PRICELESS!
> >
> > All the details of the swap, complete with a dimensioned drawing are on
my
> > website under the Axle, engine, tranny link.  Lots of different ratios
for
> > the 8.8 too.  I'm running a 3:55 behind the v6/t5, but 3:73, 3:90, and
4:11
> > are readily available and reasonably priced.
>
> That's what I was looking for, Mark. Can you get an axle with LSD for
$200,
> or are you figuring the LSD unit as part of the $635 figure? Not familiar
> with this axle. Does it have a removable center section? Having one like
> that would make it easy to have a couple, maybe more, ratios on the shelf.
>
> Back in my (much) younger days I was dragging a 283 powered '61 Biscayne
> just about every weekend. At some point I picked up a complete (non-LSD)
> 4.11 third member for $50 (I said it was a LONG time ago!) and would swap
it
> regularly for the 3.08 stock gears. Not only was I younger, I was
stronger,
> more agile and not too bright! That summer I also busted the tranny 3
times
> and had to rebuild it on Sunday because I had to drive the same car to
work
> on Monday.
>
> Ron

Ron,
The $200 was for a mustang axle with factory LSD - found it on Ebay, local
seller.  Same axle was used from 79-93.  Later models might have disc brakes
and ABS sensors.

The $635 broke down like this:
Labor:
$125 shorten housing
$175 gear setup , R&R posi clutches
$60 weld 2 sets perches
$30 bore top perches, turn nuts for bump stops, weld in

Parts:
$109 overhaul kit ( bearings,axle bearings, seals, crush sleeve)
$40 perches ( 2 sets)
$48 clutch pack and friction modifier
$15 big pin for posi ( recommended change from small pin provided with
clutch pack)

So the total got me all new internals, professionally set-up.  I could've
save a bit by doing the gear change and setup myself, but you know how time
goes....

Here's a good article on changing gear sets and rebuilding the clutches in
the 8.8. http://www.corral.net/tech/drivetrain/gears.html

If I had been building the "R" with frequent changes in mind, I'd have
chosen a different axle.  Several buddies tried to talk me into a Ford 9"
for that reason, but that would have been way overkill, not to mention the
sheer weight.

Mark