Re: Replacement rear axle assembly

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Replacement rear axle assembly
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@tlabgalaxy.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 22:27:28 -0500
> Mark Sedlack

> I put a ford 8.8 LSD in the "R".
>
> Used, low mileage '93 mustang axle - $200
> Labor & parts to cut down housing, install perches,
> new bearings, clutches, etc., setup everything - $635
> Price for Moser to cut, respline, and redrill lug holes - $170
> Leaving twin, 30 ft. long  black patches down the street - PRICELESS!
>
> All the details of the swap, complete with a dimensioned drawing are on my
> website under the Axle, engine, tranny link.  Lots of different ratios for
> the 8.8 too.  I'm running a 3:55 behind the v6/t5, but 3:73, 3:90, and 4:11
> are readily available and reasonably priced.

That's what I was looking for, Mark. Can you get an axle with LSD for $200,
or are you figuring the LSD unit as part of the $635 figure? Not familiar
with this axle. Does it have a removable center section? Having one like
that would make it easy to have a couple, maybe more, ratios on the shelf.

Back in my (much) younger days I was dragging a 283 powered '61 Biscayne
just about every weekend. At some point I picked up a complete (non-LSD)
4.11 third member for $50 (I said it was a LONG time ago!) and would swap it
regularly for the 3.08 stock gears. Not only was I younger, I was stronger,
more agile and not too bright! That summer I also busted the tranny 3 times
and had to rebuild it on Sunday because I had to drive the same car to work
on Monday.

Ron