Re: Replacement rear axle assembly

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Replacement rear axle assembly
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@tlabgalaxy.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 21:37:41 -0500
> John Roper

> Your biggest problem with a custom diff/axle assembly may be keeping
> the stock bolt pattern...

I'll bet you can get the flanges drilled any way you need/want them.

> Why not just narrow an S-10 axle, get the Auburn LSD for it, and while
> converting it to disc brakes, redrill the axle flanges for a 4x4.5" bolt
> circle? Wouldn't be cheap, but would be cheaper than a fully custom
> built diff/axle. And be quite strong as well...

Another viable alternative. My underlying idea is to find better and no more
expensive (if not cheaper) alternatives to the OEM assembly. Staying stock
or at least OEM is great IF you can get what you need, and IF it doesn't
cost an arm and a leg.

I really think you could put together the entire axle assembly, either
custom or having a competent shop modify an existing assembly for less than
a properly built Datsun center section. The biggest chunk of the initial
cost would probably be getting the custom axles made. Once that's done you
should have access to common/cheap bits like bearings, seals, etc., and a
wide range of relatively inexpensive (compared to Nissan) gear sets.

It's a shame we can't come up with similar alternatives for the 510s and
Z-Cars without extensive mods to the rear suspensions. With factory LSD
units way over $500, as are R&P sets, then adding the cost of proper set up
I think looking at alternatives makes a lot of sense. It may prove not to be
worth it, but we won't know until it's checked out. Not gonna do anything
soon, but I will check into it.

FWIW,
Ron