RE: Got the Head off!!!! Check out the Pics.

To: "'Andy Cost'" <andycost@earthlink.net>, <datsun-roadsters@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Got the Head off!!!! Check out the Pics.
From: "Daniel Neuman" <neuman@radonc17.ucsf.edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 17:13:07 -0800
Is there a way to remove the piston with out removing the engine from the
car and dropping the oil pan and pulling it out the bottom?
I am really hoping to get this done with out having to do a full rebuild
amount of work.  The engine always ran strong and I think the leak down
numbers of the other cylinders tell me that it is still in good condition.
So I am leaning towards smoothing the gouges with the piston in the car and
taking the head to a machine shop where they fix up the valve seats.

        Daniel Neuman
        Oakland Ca
        69 2000

Yes.  I'm kidding.

If you are going to sand on the piston you should remove it from the motor.
You don't want all that aluminum powder going into the motor.  I've had a
Kawasaki and a roadster motor run for a long time with beat up pistons.
Both had dents where the PO installed spark plugs that were a little too
long.  I didn't seem to notice any detonation because of the gouges.  A
concern might be that a crack could form around the rough edges.

Andy