Re: Got the Head off!!!! Check out the Pics.

To: 9laser3@bright.net, neuman@radonc17.ucsf.edu,
Subject: Re: Got the Head off!!!! Check out the Pics.
From: Keith0alan@aol.com
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 20:05:21 EST
Let's try again with the trailer removed so it gets sent out. Yes, this
should be a mostly at home job. Get some craft paper and tape off the top of
the
engine leaving the gouge exposed. Dremmil off the sharp edges, vacuum up the
bits and it should be fine. You should see any cracking from the top. I'd take
 the head to a shop with the idea of getting the seats and valves replaces in
 that cylinder. You can pop the valves out at home and take a look and smooth
out  the rough spots in the combustion chamber. It does not have to be
perfect, just  smooth out the sharp stuff. I would really expect that the seats
and
valves are  shot but I might be wrong. With a new head gasket and all you
could get away  with a hundred bucks or so. Now, if the machine shop finds your
head is warped  and all the valves, seats and guides are shot (worn out) then
you are looking at  a bigger project. But, if the engine is in basically good
shape with the damage  limited to what is seen then it really should be pretty
easy.

keith

In a message dated 12/27/2004 12:51:32 PM Pacific Standard Time,