Re: aluminum polishing

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: aluminum polishing
From: Keith0alan@aol.com
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 21:53:02 EST
BTW, don't glass bead the carbs as it'll be tough to get out the beads and
beading really screws up the finish. I tried it on a useless carb.

IMO,
Mike

Actually I have good luck glass bead blasting carbs. Admitted there are
things to watch out for but it can be done. Never sand blast aluminum as the
pointy sand bits embed into the surface and cause no end of trouble. The
round beads don't do that. I use a fairly fine bead and don't get too
agressive with it. The inside of the domes get very light or no blasting and
the pistons get none unless I can't get them clean any other way. One problem
is that the aluminum sometimes gets staining down into the pores of the
metal. If you blast enough to remove it you end up removing way too much
material. If you use the bead blasting as a surface cleaning only it works
well.

                                                 keith williams