Re: OT-ebay ettiquet

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: OT-ebay ettiquet
From: "sidney raper" <spl310@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 21:12:09 -0400
This brings to mind a similar debate that was on the list a while back.
Occasionally some rare and desirable parts come up on Ebay.  If they are not
listed just right, they may be overlooked (like the time someone on the list
got a CHEAP limited slip rear end for their roadster - under $100 iirc).  On
the other hand, some folks find these gems and notify the list.  Because of
Andrew notifying the list, I ended up paying a LOT more on an item than I
would have been able to get it for otherwise.  (in fact, I only won the item
by pennies, so if the auction had been 15 seconds longer, I would have lost)
  In case you are wondering how I know that the post to the list was the
reason for the spike in price, the counters tell the story.  There were only
a few folks that had looked at it before the post - after the post the
number was a couple of hundred.

I was rather angry at having to pay as much as I did because I had turned
Andrew onto a great deal on the same part a year earlier - I just did not
need it at that time.  I felt rather betrayed.  Instead of firing off an
angry e-mail, I paid my money, got my part, and let the frustration go.  It
is all part of Ebay.

With regards to sniping, that is just part of the Ebay game as well.  As a
seller, it is kind of neat to watch the last few minutes as there is often a
flurry of bidding.  As a buyer, it causes anxiety.

I have won bids by bidding early as well as by bidding at the last minute.
With regards to seeing an item at the last minute, it can happen.  I found
two original 1500 service bulletins that announced the model introduction.
They were listed such that only 2 or 3 people found them.  In fact, I did
not find the second one until the last minute on the last day.  Yes, I bid
and I won.  I am very pleased to have them.

Sid

Sidney Raper
1964 1500
1967 SRL311 00060