Re: OT-ebay ettiquet

To: Brian Hollands <Brian_Hollands@adp.com>
Subject: Re: OT-ebay ettiquet
From: Bobby Rees <rrees@digitex.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 10:12:57 -0500
Brian Hollands wrote:

> I'm still not sure I get how anyone can be angry with someone being willing
> to pay more for something than they were.

Out of lurk mode...........
I agree with this statement completely. I restore Austin Healey Sprites, I
garner information here for my friend Bobby for his 69 2L. I have learned that
to restore a Roadster, quite often DEEP pockets are required. I don't have deep
pockets, in fact, at times they feel short sheeted. When I am getting a part off
of eBay (your personal cybersex communinty) I see no point in placing early bids
so that I can raise the price. Others will be going "I'll beat that price cuz I
want it". I am a FIRM believer in sniping, but I will NOT use software to do it.
I believe in sniping because it is so rampant, if you don't, you will rarely win
an auction. I CAN sleep at night because, IF that losing bidder wanted it badly
enough, I would not have beat his set price. I bid in the last 10 seconds, there
is no chance for me to bid again. If I was willing to pay more, than naturally,
I will win that item. If the item is at $5 and I am willing to pay $40, I WILL
bid $40. If I get it for $6, fine. But if I get it for $39, still fine. I WAS
WILLING TO PAY THAT!! If you bid low and lose, you are the only person to blame.
I didn't make the rules, but just like everyone being PC. We cannot change it,
so use it to your advantage.
Case in point, my 68 Sprite that I drive daily holds 5.5 gallons of gas. I
stopped in an Albertsons gas station to fill up. It's hot, it's Texas, I fill
up, 5 gallons. I go in to pay, Free Drink With Fill Up (8 gallon minimum
purchase) !?!?!?!? My car WON'T HOLD 8 gallons!! I grab a "Rate Our Store" card
on the way out and emailed the corporate office. I used phrases like
"discrimination" and "predjudice" against motorcycle riders and folks who
restore early sportscars. In their effort to maintain the proper level of
"Political Correctness" I now carry an Albertsons card that absolves me of the 8
gallon minimum rule. Am I wrong for doing this? If everyone else can have their
voice heard about "restitution" and other similar issues, why not play the game,
rather than sit on the sidelines and bitch about the rules
Back into the shadows,
Brad Fornal