Summary and question # 2

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Summary and question # 2
From: "ian miller" <datsun661600@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 08:12:03 -0400
Thanks to everyone who responded to my last question.  Here is what I
concluded:
     Ammeter is not showing the actual state of the caharging system since i
no longer use the white wire.  I need to install a voltmeter instead.  I
probably have a ground proble form the engine to the frame.  The alternator
is connected tot he battery with a 10 GA wire and 30 amp fuse.  My battery
is connected to the motor with a braided strap but I don't believe there are
any motor to frame connections.  If this doesn't fix it then it must be
those darn aliens again.

My next proble is the humm/wine it makes above 40 MPH in 3rd or 4th gear.
It has always done this, but I never planned on taking it on a 5 hour trip
to the Glen before so it didn't worry me.  The humm (very loud) is only
present when the clutch is released in 3rd or 4th gear.  If I depress the
clutch it goes away.  I had the transmission professionaly rebuilt, but the
man doing the work died of a heart attack halfway through and his son
finishes it.

Originally my guess was the rear differential, but the sound is infront of
that and the diff would make the noise regardless of the clutch being
disengaged.  So I'm stumped!

Thank you,
Ian Miller
66 1600 (stroked)