Re: Vehicle titles (lost)

To: James M Koken <james.m.koken@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Vehicle titles (lost)
From: Tom Hendricksen <tom@fransfancies.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 23:54:27 -0700
I talked about this with a friend who has been through this path here in Oregon.
I was considering getting a title for my parts car, which has a past history
similar to your description and no hope of getting the original title.

Here in Oregon if you are a company, which is easy to form, your company can
store
the vehicle and build up storage charges against it.  When you think the charges
are high enough you can file a lien on the car and then publish a public auction
for the purpose of satisfying the lien.  You bid the storage charges - say
$10,000
- and the car  is sold to the highest bidder.  If these steps are followed
correctly the Oregon Department of Motor Vehicles should issue a new title for
your vehicle.

This all assumes that the VIN number does not show up on a stolen vehicle list
somewhere.

According to my friend the total cost of filing fees, advertising of the public
auction, and title origination in your name is around $150.00.

Tom Hendricksen
69 2000
Portland, Oregon