Re: Vehicle titles (lost)

To: "James M Koken" <james.m.koken@gte.net>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Vehicle titles (lost)
From: "Mark Sedlack" <msedlack@neo.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 22:07:47 -0400
You might want to check into the approach I took - I received a signed title
with the purchase of our 66 1600, although it was signed by an owner two
owners back.

The title was filled and signed out by the original, first owner in WV as
being sold to owner number two who lives in NY state.  Owner two sat on the
car for 3-4 years, then sold it to another guy in PA without ever having
transferred the title into his name.  He wrote up a bill of sale on an
official NY state from which does not require notary.

Owner number three sat on the car for the remaining years without ever
making roadworthy, so HE never transferred title into his name.........

First Ohio BMV tells me that I have to have it inspected to by an authorized
inspection station - luckily the head of the local Nissan dealer's service
dept. is an inspector and was willing to come over to the house just because
he wanted to remenisce.  Then off to the BMV office to get a new title.
Whoops, they can't accept the paperwork I've got and tell me I have to
locate all three previous owners and have each do the title transfer in each
state - yeah right - the original owner is now deceased.  So I called the
state office of the BMV, and they said my only other option was to obtain a
court order from a Common Pleas Judge to issue me a title.

So I called the Judge's office, and the bailiff checks with the judge, and
he says to bring in whatever documents I have along with a written,
notarized affidavit stating the facts as I know them.  Did that, and dropped
the docs off - waited 6 weeks during which time they checked into stolen
vehicle listings a couple of times, and the judge issued the order - clean
and relatively simple.  Maybe this can work in other states as well - worth
a couple of phone calls.  You'd probably need the previous owner to write an
affadavit, and possibly obtain a copy of the title that was issued in his
name many years ago?

Mark Sedlack
OROC
Cuyahoga Falls OH