overheating/ troubleshooting

To: "datsun list" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: overheating/ troubleshooting
From: "aaron atkins" <amatkins@qnet.com>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 10:30:37 -0700
As far as my overheating problems go, I've been looking as best I can with
no luck.  Here are the checks I have made so far.

New temp gauge & sending unit
110# compression on all four cylinders
timing dead on the money
dwell set
have flow in radiator
new thermostat  180 deg.,  could not find a 160
even temp across front of radiator
no water in oil and vice versa
clean exhaust..no billowing white smoke
checked color of plugs...black sooty around outside but very center of
electode is shiny brass; ceramic in same area off-white.
burped system by screwdriver in thermo method.

     I'm stumped.  The temp climbs right up to about 210 when I start
getting nervous and shut it down. If you can come up with any more checks
let me know.    My next step is to get the radiator re-cored.  That's always
money well spent in the long run anyway. I was this close to making Solvang
too.  Dang it!!

Aaron
'67 1600